Wheat Berries are one of my favorite whole grains… more substantial than quinoa and with a chewier texture than barley. Curried Wheat Berry Salad with Shrimp makes a main dish salad for a quick weeknight dinner but you could leave out the shrimp and eat it as a side dish too.
This is a quick and easy salad as long as you cook the wheat berries in advance. They take a while!
What exactly are Wheat Berries? Well, they’re not really berries but they definitely are wheat: hulled whole wheat kernels that are often milled into flour to make whole wheat bread, or processed into refined foods like white bread and pasta. Try them out in their natural form!
Wheat Berries are rich in B Vitamins as well as minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, copper, manganese and selenium.
Some people soak them in advance but I don’t bother with that, I just rinse, throw them in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour.
The fun thing about this Curried Wheat Berry Salad with Shrimp is all the textures: wheat berries, cranberries, nuts, edamame and crunchty celery and scallions. Every bite is full of delicious taste and texture combinations!
It all blends together in a simple lemon curry dressing with a touch of garlic.
There are few rules to this recipe so add or subtract what you like: pistachios instead of cashews, chicken instead of shrimp, cilantro instead of parsley.
Curried Wheat Berry Salad with Shrimp will last a few days in the refrigerator. You can bring it to work for lunch or serve it to the family for dinner. It’s also a nice side dish to my quick and easy Miso Soup recipe, have you tried that one yet?
Curried Wheat Berry Salad with Shrimp
This easy and healthy salad is packed with superfoods and whole grains. It makes a wonderful main dish salad or diet friendly lunch.
2 Cups Uncooked Wheat Berries (Once they are cooked you’ll have about 4 Cups)
4 Green Onions, chopped
1/2 Red Onion, finely chopped
1 Cup Dried Cranberries
1 Cup Edamame
1/3 Cup Chopped Parsley
4 Stalks Celery
1/2 Cup Cashew Nuts, chopped
Juice and Zest from a large lemon or two small
3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Curry Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1 pound cooked shrimp
- Cook Wheat Berries: (This can be done in advance)
- Cover Wheat Berries with water and a teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for one hour. Cool.
- Combine Wheat Berries with onions, cranberries, edamame, parsley, celery, cashew nuts and shrimp. Reserve a few pieces of shrimp to garnish salad.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine Vinegar, Lemon, Curry Powder, Garlic and Olive Oil and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until combined.
- Add dressing to salad and top with cooked shrimp.
- Wheat Berries take about an hour to cook. They can be prepared in advance and will keep for a week in the refrigerator.