This is one of my family’s favorite 15 Minute Meals! Quick and Easy Lemon Caper Poached Salmon is a healthy dinner recipe that takes just minutes to prepare. My boys DEVOUR it so I usually make very large portions and bring any leftovers to work for lunch. (If I don’t eat it for breakfast!)
My cooking method may be a bit controversial for some of you: Lemon Caper Poached Salmon steams in the microwave so you don’t have to heat up your oven or grill on hot summer nights!
Really! I poach salmon in the microwave. No kidding. And it cooks in under five minutes!
I’ll never forget about four years ago I did an interview with Martha Stewart and I mentioned the microwave, in general, is one of my favorite shortcuts for quick, easy meals after I’ve been rolling around Atlanta in a hot and stuffy live truck for WXIA -TV all day.
Um, should have kept my mouth shut. It was like I was a piece of Indonesian Farm Raised Salmon trying to chat with a fillet of Alaskan Copper River Sockeye Salmon. I got the side eye, raised brow and a bit of a sniff from Martha.
Martha Stewart apparently isn’t a fan of Easy Poached Salmon in the Microwave
She also actually recoiled a bit, as though my slackerness was contagious, and said “Oh, I would NEVER cook VEGETABLES in the microwave!” Needless to say, I didn’t tell her about the salmon. Or that my son Nicholas has loved this recipe since he was about a year old, as well as many of my other quick dinner ideas.
Quick and Easy Poached Salmon with Capers is Low Calorie and Low Carb!
This is a great recipe for weight loss! I often make it when I’m trying to slim down a bit. And all that wonderful Omega 3 in the salmon is so good for you! I also make broccoli and asparagus in the microwave on a regular basis, have you tried them? How bout poached eggs? Ever had one EXPLODE?
What do you cook in the microwave? Please share! You can leave comments below the recipe!
15 Minute Meals: Lemon Caper Salmon
By March 5, 2016Published:
- Yield: 1 1/2 to 2 Pounds (6 Servings)
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
- Ready In: 10 mins
This is a super fast, super easy recipe for Lemon Caper Salmon that gets dinner on your table in just a few minutes.
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs Wild or Farm Raised Salmon My favorite place to buy Salmon is at Costco
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Chicken or Clam Broth I like Better than Bouillon, it's cheaper than canned or boxed broth and you can make as much or as little as you want
- 3 tablespoons Capers more or less depending on your level of caper love!
- 1 Lemon sliced
- Place salmon filets in a shallow microwavable container
- Cover with broth, capers and lemon
- Microwave covered on High for 3 to 4 minutes. Check for doneness. If necessary, microwave for a few more minutes. We like it kind of rare in the middle.
- Serve Lemon Caper Salmon with leftover pasta or potatoes and broccoli