Are ready for spring? I’m sooooo ready for spring… and I’m ready for asparagus! It is in season, incredibly healthy, and delicious sauteed with some shrimp and lemon. This recipe for sauteed Asparagus and Shrimp with Lemon is simple, easy and comes together in under ten minutes!
I love recipes like this for busy weeknight meals. You can save a lot of time by shelling your shrimp the day before, or even buying shrimp that are already shelled and deveined. (I have been known to skip the deveining process entirely if the shrimp didn’t have really noticeable veins. Don’t tell anyone.)
Sauteed Asparagus and Shrimp with Lemon is very kid friendly. (At least at my house.) The white wine cooks off very quickly, or you can substitute chicken or seafood stock instead.
This dish can be served over pasta or by itself. I typically serve it over pasta for the kids but I eat mine by itself to avoid the carbs. I also add some extra crushed red pepper to mine.
I like asparagus al dente but if you like it softer, taste a piece when it starts to look done and and if it is too crunchy for your taste, cook for a few minutes longer.
Sauteed Asparagus and Shrimp with Lemon
This is a fresh, easy, quick and healthy week night dinner. Perfect for springtime when asparagus is in season!
1 pound fresh asparagus
1 1/2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
Zest and Juice from one lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper ]
Salt and Pepper
Fresh Parmesan Cheese
Cooked Pasta if desired
- Cut or snap tough ends off asparagus.
- Cut asparagus into two inch pieces.
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add shallot, cook for two minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, add garlic. cook for 2 or 3 minutes
- Add wine, broth, lemon, turn heat to high until boiling, then lower heat to medium high.
- Add shrimp, asparagus, zest, crushed pepper, salt and pepper
- Cover and cook five to seven minutes until shrimp and asparagus are done.
- Serve with fresh parmesan cheese.
- If you are not serving this dish over pasta, it will likely serve four.