This may be one of my favorite Brussels Sprout recipe ever. I’m eating it as I type! Just a hint of bacon plus lemon juice, thyme, Dijon mustard and a Granny Smith apple combine to make a Warm Lemon Dijon Brussels Sprout Slaw. It’s a warm and inviting yet super-fresh tasting side dish.
Okay, we all know bacon isn’t good for you. This recipe is good without it but in my opinion GREAT with just a little, teeny bit of bacon. Like two slices. And their
grease cooking juices. Come on, if a little bacon gets your kids to eat Lemon Dijon Brussels Sprout Slaw with Apples, that’s not such a bad thing, right?
Fresh Brussels sprouts are just so pretty! They are so much more flavorful then frozen ones. Some cooks like them whole or halved but for this recipe I slice and chop them. They cook fast that way, they’re very tender and they absorb all the flavors of the bacon, lemon, Dijon mustard, apples and thyme. I also use a generous amount of salt and pepper in this Warm Lemon Dijon Brussels Sprout Slaw. And if you’re feeling a bit decadent just GO FOR IT and throw in some extra bacon! No judgement here!
You could also add some lemon zest to make Warm Brussels Sprout Slaw a bit more lemony.
The easiest way to cut up your Brussels sprouts is to first wash them, then slice off the ends, place the flat side down on a cutting board and start slicing them. Or chop them if you afraid of cutting yourself while slicing. I tend to slice till the sprout gets dangerously small, then chop the rest.
I’m making these on Sunday but probably won’t serve them till around Tuesday. That’s just the way we roll around here with a busy work week and Derrick out of town! The sprouts will keep. I hope. I’m about to go get another bowl of them.
I was tempted to throw a little squirt of Sriracha sauce into the vinaigrette but it seemed like I already had a lot going on in the pan with the sprouts, shallots, apples, mustard and lemon. ( I’m not a professionally trained chef, just a mom who likes to cook.
Warm Lemon Dijon Brussels Sprout Slaw
These may be the best Brussel Sprouts of your lifetime!
1 pound fresh Brussels Sprouts
1 shallot, sliced thinly
2 slices of bacon
Juice of one lemon
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Tart Apple, chopped (I used Granny Smith)
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook and crumble bacon. Save pan drippings.
- Whisk lemon, thyme and mustard in a small bowl with some salt and pepper.
- Wash Brussels sprouts and slice or chop coarsely.
- Core and chop apple
- Generously salt and pepper the sprouts.
- Heat bacon drippings over medium high heat.
- Add shallots and Brussels sprouts.
- Cook for about five minutes.
- Add apple, 1/2 the bacon crumbles and lemon-dijon mixture.
- Stir until combined and apple is warmed, just about two minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- This recipe makes a warm Brussels sprout dish that is tender but still has a bit of crunch to it. If you like them softer and more well done, place a lid on the pan for a few minutes before you take it off the heat.